Pages

Monday, April 30, 2012

Real Food

About two weeks ago my family started making the switch over to "Real Food" by the term real food I mean nothing processed.  A pretty easy rule is if you read it and you know what it is, you can eat it.   So over the past two weeks our breakfast and lunches have been pretty much Real Food its been our dinners that have been processed.  Using up the things we had left.

This weekend we got started FOR REAL

First up, I joined the Organic Produce Co-op at Natures Garden in Friendswood
I opted for the medium fruit and vegtable package with a small side box of fruit

 This was $30.00  I think for organic fruits and vegtables its a good deal.  Only problem is, I dont know what everything is, so if you know what that large mellon is, feel free to let me know. LOL

When I got the box home, I washed all the fruits and put them in the fruit bowl in the pantry, I have made all the snack food easily accesable to the kids.  We have two bowls in the pantry, one with fruit, and one with granola, nuts, and dried fruit.  In the fridge there are two bowls, one with bags of cubed cheese, one with hard boiled eggs.

Since we are going non-processed this means we make or buy our bread fresh.
I made home made rolls following this recipe:

1/2 cup sugar
3 packages yeast (2 1/4 tsp per package)
2 teaspoons salt
6 cups whole wheat flour
1 stick butter melted
2 cups luke warm water

Combine sugar, yeast salt and flour.  Heat butter and water.  Add to flour mixture and beat.  Kneed 5 min.  Let rise about 2 hours (till doubbled) bake as loaf or make rolls or buns.  Bake at 350 for 30 min (for buns pictured above)



We also made tortillas recipe found here



Both my husband and I were suprised how easy it was to make tortillas.  It was super easy  and we use them to make sandwiches, and tons of other things.

Well thats all for now, I will post about more of our real food adventure later


 My husband and I were inspired by the blog 100 days of real food  On this blog she explaines the rules in greater detail and why this is something you should consider doing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment